Date: 17.2.2017 / Article Rating: 5 / Votes: 775
1clickdissertation.ukessays.life #Comparison and contrast essay between two people

Recent Posts

Home >> Uncategorized >> Comparison and contrast essay between two people

Comparison and contrast essay between two people

Mar/Wed/2018 | Uncategorized

Compare & Contrast "The Two Friends" - feedback - Essay Forum

Comparison and contrast essay between two people

Best Custom Academic Essay Writing Help & Writing Services UK Online -
Compare & contrast essays - EAP Foundation

Biography of classmate Jim Brooks Essay. #8220;I am a nerd!#8221; was the answer of Jim Brooks upon being asked #8220;How would you describe yourself?#8221;. Sitting sideways at her desk, Mrs. Gatewood laughed as she talked to another student. Comparison Essay Between Two People? The others in the background appeared engaged in their own excited conversations about #8220;who did what at hooks for expository essays the mall#8221;. Jim, on the other hand, looked down at his questionnaire and wondered #8220;How long would this really take?#8221; I looked at him and comparison and contrast two people, he signaled me to creative essay on war, come to the back seats. Wearily walking to the back, Jim pulled up the and contrast between two people sleeves of his yellow polo shirt and sat down on the chair. It was 1:19 pm and of georges bernanos, the temperature was around 60 degrees Fahrenheit as I could feel the cold air, through the opened crack in the glass window, while it touched a part of the back of my neck. Jim rubbed his hands on his blue, denim jeans, which distinguished the white adidas shoes, and looked around the and contrast gloomy atmosphere of the classroom while the white clouds gathered in the light blue sky. His puka shell necklace (no clue what this is?) contrasted with his shiny, silver watch and his blonde spiked hair stood as straight as the blades of grass. After settling down next to for expository, him, we discussed his past life, hobbies, sports, friends and I learned about the favorites of this Science Award winner. Jim is proud to comparison, be a member of a loving family, which includes his father, mother and an elder brother.

Jim was born on anthem for doomed, August 3, 1987 in Sacramento. Since then he has lived in comparison essay between two people the same place considering that #8220;I love my room; it#8217;s the best place to be!#8221; Being highly under the influence of his father, Jim wishes to follow his steps and become a successful person in life. His father, Mr. Dan Brooks, is the writing essay vice president in a private company, #8220;Thermo Genesis#8221;; indeed, a loving father and always helped Jim in his problems. On the other hand, Mrs. Cindy Brooks is a respectful clerk in the emergency room. Jim also has a 19 year old brother, Brian, who often looks after him; he is a sophomore at Sierra Oaks College. Comparison Essay Between? As far as he can remember, Jim thinks that his great grandparents are natives of Poland. However, his parents have grown up in Sacramento and hope that when Jim graduates from college, he would settle here too. He is proud to be an American citizen and follows the women Jewish religion. Essay? #8220;It#8217;s not the hours you put in your work that counts, it#8217;s the work you put in writing essay the hours#8221; or #8220;Real success is finding your lifework in the work that you love.#8221; Though quoted by Sam Ewing, these words are followed by Jim#8217;s tender heart.

Jim loves his family and hopes to become a better person when he grows up. Other than his family life, Jim believes that #8220;a good education makes a successful man.#8221; Being highly influenced by comparison essay between his father, Jim cares about who he wants to the last bernanos, be now, not who he would end up as in the future. On being asked what he considers as a #8220;successful#8221; person, his answer was #8220;a successful person is one who is satisfied and who has turned out as he had hoped for#8221;; Jim hopes to be one of those #8220;satisfied#8221; people. In the past, Jim attended Gold River Elementary School, Barret Middle School and presently he is happy being a sophomore at Rio Americano High School. He achieved the #8220;Science Award#8221; for participation and comparison and contrast, having the highest percentage of a 107.9% in his 8th grade, which makes him feel proud of himself. If given an option to rebuild the curriculum of the powerpoint school year, Jim wishes nothing to be changed but #8220;may be we could have a better landscape.#8221; Since kindergarten to the present, the comparison and contrast essay most influential teacher is resume writing service his 8th grade teacher, Mr. Strobel. The teacher taught his students to face challenges and work hard to comparison and contrast two people, become a good citizen. Jim described to writing essay, me the 7th grade, English scrap book experience where he faced the comparison essay two people challenge of procrastinating and had to handle decisions under pressure. Jim#8217;s past memories were of a carefree and optimistic nature and now he wishes to work diligently and resume service, get into Stanford University. He desires to comparison and contrast essay, be an anesthesiologist when he grows up.

In short, Jim has a main goal of being successful in life and wishes to go to college and lead a bright future. In addition, Jim has many hobbies and hooks for expository, interests, which include playing sports and collecting miniatures. With the comparison and contrast essay between volleyball season approaching, he wishes to tryout for the volleyball team of our school. Essays Bernanos? His favorite sports include baseball, which he has been playing since the past 9 years and and contrast, soccer, which has been his favorite sport since kindergarten. In his free time, he also prefers to play racquetball and golf.

On being questioned about his hobbies, the best military writing service athlete replies, #8220;I have 6000 baseball cards.#8221; Jim has had the passion for collecting miniatures, baseball cards and autographs since he was a kid. His favorite baseball player is Barry Bonds of the Giants team. #8220;I#8217;m sort of crazy so I have 3 posters of him, one of which is life size, in my room, three plaques with cards, and an autographed ball with his signature#8221;. #8220;I also make a good babysitter#8221; he said when we talked about his jobs; he likes to essay between two people, baby-sit his neighbor, little Sam. The money that he earns from his day to day job is spent on video games and all kinds of DVDs. As a result, Jim is a good athlete, who is writing for expository interested in baseball and collections of miniatures. After discussing his hobbies and family life, I learned about the favorites of this Science Award winner. Jim is highly interested in Japanese culture and believes #8220;It#8217;s authentic and really cool#8221;. Comparison And Contrast Between? He loves to eat Japanese food, especially sushi with rice; which is indeed a mouth watering dish. His favorite restaurant, where he finds his favorite food is the in construction #8220;Taiko Sushi Restaurant.#8221; His favorite subject at essay school is math and science and the best book that he has ever read is Andromeda Strain by #8220;Michael Crichton.#8221; He likes to essay on war, hear all kinds of music, whether it is on the radio or a DVD. He likes to wear hats and has a huge collection of those at home; varying in sizes and color, many of them are merely baseball caps. And Contrast Essay Between? Jim likes to watch movies in his free time or while spending time with his parents, and his favorite movie is #8220;Sergeant Bilko#8221;.

Orange is his favorite color. Upon being asked #8220;How would you describe yourself?#8221; Jim gave it a lot of thought and replied, #8220;I guess I am funny, helpful and a good student.#8221; Jim has many favorites and is interested in Japanese culture. Other than his studious life he likes to of georges bernanos, spend time with his friends and near acquaintances, which include his cousins. He has many acquaintances, but his best friends include Drew Blythe and his elder brother Brian. And Contrast? #8220;Drew is a lot like me and I get along very well with people that think similar to me#8230;and he#8217;s odd#8221; replied Jim. At school Drew has been his best friend for years and both of best military writing service, them get along very well. Upon being questioned what the word #8220;friend#8221; meant to him, he casually replied, #8220;A friend is one who you can always turn to essay between, in cases of emergency and website presentation, who is a lot like you in your actions.#8221; Jim and Drew went to the same elementary and middle schools and between, now they are again together in website powerpoint high school.

In addition, they were also in the same soccer team and have many classes together. At home, he likes to spend time with his brother and essay two people, get advice from him. On War? Other school and outside friends include Michael, David and and contrast two people, Tyler, who have always been there to help him either in his homework or just solve daily problems. He also likes to talk to his cousins, and whenever they are together they like to military resume writing, play video games or watch movies. Essay Between? Jim is of a friendly nature who likes to be with friends and cousins. With sights set high and working as hard as possible, Jim Brooks has a great personality.

He wants to do something that would be regarded as a great achievement, and for which he would be recognized and remembered. He loves to presentation, spend time with his family and friends. Being interested in comparison and contrast essay two people Japanese culture, he wants to go to Japan some day and learn the language. Talking to Jim was a great experience and I learned about his interests, hobbies, friends, sports, main goals and his family. Jim is optimistic about life, hopes that his future will be a promising one, and writing essays, his experiences will lead him a long way. University/College: University of Chicago. Type of paper: Thesis/Dissertation Chapter.

Date: 19 June 2016. Let us write you a custom essay sample on Biography of classmate Jim Brooks. for only $16.38 $13.9/page. 3422 Old Capitol Trail, Suite 267, Wilminton, DE 19808, USA.

Order Your Own Writing Help Now -
Compare and contrast two people - English-test net

Genres and Genre Film – the Movie The Help . Genre Conventions of Film Noire Film Noire is a sub genre of crime fiction, which follows a firm convention that must be strictly obeyed. An example is the movie ‘Double Indemnity’ which shows an effectiveness of the genre conventions. I would compare it to comparison and contrast between two people, a modern black film such as Brick (2005). One important fact about Film Noire is the use of visuals, which feature a strong shadow that’s often obscures the characters. Writing? Film Noire features characters that play important roles called Femme Fatale. Femme Fatales are generally featured in Film Noire. They are naturally seductive and manipulative women motivated by greed especially for money. Once she is introduced to and contrast two people, a man’s character she is on a mission to manipulate him and also create situations leading to their downfall or death for their own gain. In Brick (2005); Brandon shows how Emily saw Laura and ran like she had seen a devil. Laura’s actions and the way others perceive her are typical characteristics of a Femme Fatale. In Double Indemnity, Phyllis who plays the role of a Femme Fatale causes death intentionally because of her greed for her husband’s money who died as a result of an accident she planned with Huff.

Keyes describes her as a ‘Cobra’. Both Phyllis and Laura are typical Femme Fatales consciously aware of their actions to writing, fulfill their greed. Most Femme Fatales meet their downfall in the end just like Phyllis did in and contrast between two people, Double Indemnity where she was shot by Huff. In Construction? Nevertheless, the women of film noir. Words: 701 - Pages: 3. . Two People? Introduction Genre analysis has been a relevant part of text analysis for years and it is essays important to distinguish the generic structure of the text to understand it completely. Between Two People? The theme- Genre analysis of ISO 9000 quality management systems-fundamentals and vocabulary was chosen because nowadays it is very topical -if there is identified structure of the paper than it could be easier perceived. ISO 9000 quality management systems-fundamentals and vocabulary contains relevantly large amount of pages on it is hard to best military resume service, follow to the main string of the text. There was made an assumption than identified generic structure of the text will help to comprehend it. The author has studied the comparison between two people field of genre analysis of ISO 9000 documentation and there was not found any research which distinguished the generic structure of the best resume service document so it was thought to be useful to in investigate present topic. The aims present research is to investigate different authors’ views about genre analysis and try to apply one of authors frameworks to ISO 9000 quality management systems-fundamentals and comparison two people vocabulary. There were made the following research questions – What is the generic structure of international standard ISO 9000 quality management systems-fundamentals and vocabulary?

What moves and steps depending on Swales framework, could be found in ISO 9000 quality management systems-fundamentals and vocabulary? In this research the author. Words: 2118 - Pages: 9. . WRT 104 March 6th, 2014 Genre Analysis Today’s world is unimaginable without Internet. It has brought the world in our fists. Writing For Expository? Most people use Internet in their day-to-day lives for looking up something, watching videos, and between two people what not. But for the teens, Internet is all about for expository essays, social-networking. Between Two People? Most of them are always besides a laptop or mobile phone chatting on Facebook, tweeting about their new experience, or sharing photos on Instagram with friends.

I am going to talk about Facebook. Facebook is the most used social-networking website today. It connects almost 1.2 billion people out for doomed essays of the total of 7 billion people living on the earth today. Mark Zuckerberg created Facebook on February 4, 2004 with his college roommates and fellow Harvard University students Eduardo Saverin, Andre McCollum, Dustin Moskovitz and Chris Hughes. On February 1, 2012 the company applied for 5 billion US dollars Initial Public Offering (IPO), making the company one of the biggest in history of comparison essay between technology and the biggest in women essays, the history of Internet. Facebook valued its stock at and contrast 38 US dollars per best military resume service share, which priced the company at 104 billion US dollars – the largest valuation to the date for a public company.

I first joined Facebook on comparison and contrast between January 7, 2011. During first ten days or so I explored the resume service features of Facebook. There are many factors that makes Facebook as the number one social-networking website. Essay Between Two People? It revolutionized the world with it games, picture sharing feature, status. Words: 1470 - Pages: 6. Genres and Genre Film – the Movie The Help . fired her for using the house bathroom, a pie with her own feces’ in it and let her white employer eat it and presentation told her when she was done eating. Her feistiness and essay righteous attitude make this film funny. Hooks? Historical Genre The Historical genre was the scene when they took the comparison essay two people woman off the bus because she had talked to Skeeter and best resume they arrested her, it shows you the essay between abuse that the Black women suffered and had to endure to tell their story. “Movies are something more than just an evening’s entertainment. The Last? They are also historical documents that help us see—and perhaps more fully understand—the world in which they were made (Ross, 2002). The movie was at comparison between a time when civil rights were be challenged, many states had already passed laws making slavery illegal, but not in this small town of Jackson, Mississippi.

Conclusion “Structural and military writing service textual analysis of film genres tends towards the comparison between formalist understanding of genre tropes; functional analysis tends to understand genres in terms of their interaction with viewers … identifies four main understandings of genre in film studies: genre as definition, outlined during exhibition through advertising, reviews, and programming; genre as relationship with the audience who recognize it and what it requires of them; genre as structure, a series of commonly identified structural tropes; and genre as blueprint underpinning industrial production” (Smith, 2014). In Construction Essays? The black characters in this movie show the pain they. Words: 1199 - Pages: 5. . Genre Theory The movie that I would like to and contrast essay, talk about for this genre discussion is powerpoint The Nightmare Before Christmas I would say that it falls under two categories, animation would be its main genre and its sub-genre would be classified as a musical. The way a musical is done is exactly the way it sounds, they add musical numbers throughout the film. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOtEdhKOMgQ They do not typically sing the entire time, but usually every ten minutes or so after watching some of the acting, it will flow into a musical number. Also the songs normally have something to do with what just happened with the two people actors. Writing For Expository Essays? The Nightmare Before Christmas meets its musical criteria with more than ten songs in the entire movie. Three of and contrast essay between its most popular numbers being “This is Halloween, Jacks Lament, and What’s this?” This film was written by Tim Burton, another movie I could compare it to and that he directed would be Sweeny Todd : The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, it is also in the musical genre. “It tells the story of website a serial killer. Typically, however, musicals depict lighter fare, and indeed, in each case mentioned they make what might have been more difficult material easier for the audience to relate to.” (Goodykoontz Jacobs, 2011, Ch. 8.2). Comparison Essay Between? I feel that musicals are more of essays a required taste for movie lovers. I myself enjoy them as well as all movie genres, as the book says, they further add to essay two people, the story and women include more details and comparison between feelings into writing the movie.

Words: 330 - Pages: 2. . First written assignment on Genre Hot Fuzz- In the comparison two people trailer for ‘Hut Fuzz’ there are a lot of genre signifies to signify it’s an action film such as explosions, guns, people screaming in terror, and writing essay on war car chases, these conventions all suggest it is an and contrast two people, action film, however there are also scenes such as when one of the police officer falls through a fence, and when they have to find a swan, these all connote it is also a comedy. Hooks Essays? This links to Rick Altman’s theory, the semantics of Hot Fuzz of the guns, explosions suggest it’s an action however the syntactic such as the dialogue of the characters portray a comedy. Although, the props of the film and a few scenes suggest it’s an action film, the lay out of the trailer, signify it’s a parody of an action film which is part of comparison between Steve Neale’s theory of the cycle. Robert Stam might support the idea that this film overlaps genre boundaries creating this film a hybrid genre. Hooks? This could have been done to create a wider target audience but not too big as everyone would not feel engaged enough.

Therefore it would get more publicity as people who enjoy action and people who enjoy comedy would go to see it. I think both of these genres have remained popular as with comedy you can use different jokes, different ways to make people laugh, ensuring people to feel like its constantly new material to keep them laughing and engaged in the comedy genre. The action genre has also stayed popular as its repetition and keeps them on edge of what. Words: 707 - Pages: 3. . Abstract In this paper I will be talking about three different movie posters of the American War genre. First I will describe where I found the movie posters, and then I will state the results of the comparison essay between two people visual elements.

Then I will analyze, and website powerpoint critique the results of the findings. Introduction When someone walks along the hallway of a movie theater, they will see a series of comparison between movie posters which are there to advertise the writing hooks essays movie. Humans are known to act on their first impression, and this is important in advertising because it will either attract or defer a potential viewer. Most people have a favorite movie genre, so they’re more inclined to watch a movie that appears to comparison essay between, fit under their genre. Through the powerpoint movie posters a patriotic theme is given off, which will invite in comparison essay between, the intended audience. Creative Essay On War? American War movies have very similar posters, although they will have different stories. Today I will be talking about comparison and contrast essay between, three different movie posters of the American war genre: “American Sniper” (See Fig.1), “Fury” (See Fig.2), and “Lone Survivor” (See Fig.

3). The main purpose of this report is to find and essays analyze the visuals of the three movie posters. Methodology In order to try and test my hypothesis, I will need to and contrast two people, find material that will allow me to gather the appropriate information. I am going to use the internet to find three movie posters of the same genre, and that genre is American war movies. First I will search on writing hooks for expository google images for American. Words: 1449 - Pages: 6. . The Romance Genre One of the most common themes in films is love. Comparison Between Two People? In Bordwell and Thompson’s study The Classical Hollywood Cinema (1998), they calculated that 85 percent of Hollywood films has romance as their main plot. Essays? Which means in most Hollywood films, Romantic Love is two people a major concern.

Contemporary American cinema still uses the same formal in romance films. Boy meets girl, boy loses girl and website then boy gets girl in comparison and contrast, the end. Bellour a film critic, identifies this convention as pattern that constitutes classical Hollywood cinema as a whole (“Alternation” 88). This illustrates that Hollywood often portrays and idealized version of love. Hollywood’s emphasis on romantic love and courtship, is almost like a reflection of youth essays America’s commercial enterprise. Essay Between? Producing movies only for mass entertainment purposes. Women In Construction? We happen to live in society in which the comparison and contrast between choice of partners and marriages completely free. Although Pierre Bourdieu (1990) has argued that our relationships and marriage patterns have been heavy influenced by cultural institutions.

As Hollywood film is particularly addressed to young people, film can be seen as an institution that has influenced their formation of ‘habitus’ or their behaviour towards courtship. Popular romantic films are often provocative and complex. They tell us about ourselves as men and women. Women Essays? Sexual desire, love, relationships and comparison essay between two people our fallibilities and fears. They show us how our beliefs, what we should think and how we should behave. Words: 1902 - Pages: 8.

Eng 225 Week 2 Assignment Genres and Genre Film. . ENG 225 Week 2 Assignment Genres and Genre Film http://homeworkfy.com/downloads/eng-225-week-2-assignment-genres-and-genre-film/ To Get this Tutorial Copy Paste above URL Into Your Browser Hit Us Email for Any Inquiry at: Homeworkfy@gmail.com Visit our Site for More Tutorials: (http://homeworkfy.com/ ) Genres and writing on war Genre Film. After reviewing the discussion of genre in Chapter 8 of Film: From Watching to Seeing, demonstrate your understanding of one selected genre using a feature-length film. Note: Several films are listed in Chapter 8 as emblematic of essay two people a specific genre. You are allowed to choose a film or genre not mentioned in Chapter 8, but you are strongly encouraged to email your professor to receive approval before doing so. Website Presentation? In 800 to 1200 words: • Explain genre theory and, using Chapter 8 of the essay two people text as a reference, thoroughly describe the conventions and attributes of your selected genre. • Identify a feature-length film that fits this genre and provide a basic summary of the movie.

As you develop this summary, remember the differences between a film’s story and a film’s plot and how these differences can lead to the inclusion of genre elements. • Interpret at least two genre conventions exhibited in your chosen feature-length film that help classify it in the selected genre. Be sure to provide a specific example of each convention (e.g., a particular scene or plot component). • Provide an example of a third convention from your chosen feature. Words: 438 - Pages: 2. Eng 225 Week 2 Assignment Genres and Genre Film. . ENG 225 Week 2 Assignment Genres and anthem for doomed essays Genre Film Click Link Below To Buy: http://hwcampus.com/shop/eng-225/eng-225-week-2-assignment-genres-and-genre-film/ Or Visit www.hwcampus.com ENG 225 Week 2 Assignment Genres and Genre Film Genres and comparison and contrast essay between two people Genre Film. After reviewing the discussion of women in construction essays genre in Chapter 8 of Film: From Watching to Seeing, demonstrate your understanding of one selected genre using a feature-length film. Note: Several films are listed in Chapter 8 as emblematic of a specific genre. You are allowed to choose a film or genre not mentioned in comparison and contrast between two people, Chapter 8, but you are strongly encouraged to email your professor to receive approval before doing so. In 800 to 1200 words: ? Explain genre theory and, using Chapter 8 of the text as a reference, thoroughly describe the conventions and attributes of your selected genre. ? Identify a feature-length film that fits this genre and provide a basic summary of the movie.

As you develop this summary, remember the differences between a film’s story and powerpoint a film’s plot and how these differences can lead to the inclusion of genre elements. ? Interpret at least two genre conventions exhibited in your chosen feature-length film that help classify it in the selected genre. Be sure to provide a specific example of each convention (e.g., a particular scene or plot component). ? Provide an example of a third convention from comparison and contrast essay between, your chosen feature-length film and essays explain how this convention expands the boundaries of. Words: 429 - Pages: 2. Eng 225 Week 2 Assignment Genres and and contrast essay between Genre Film. . The Last Bernanos? ENG 225 Week 2 Assignment Genres and Genre Film Click Link Below To Buy: http://hwcampus.com/shop/eng-225/eng-225-week-2-assignment-genres-and-genre-film/ Or Visit www.hwcampus.com ENG 225 Week 2 Assignment Genres and Genre Film Genres and Genre Film. After reviewing the discussion of genre in Chapter 8 of Film: From Watching to Seeing, demonstrate your understanding of and contrast between one selected genre using a feature-length film. Note: Several films are listed in Chapter 8 as emblematic of a specific genre. You are allowed to choose a film or genre not mentioned in Chapter 8, but you are strongly encouraged to email your professor to receive approval before doing so. In 800 to 1200 words: ? Explain genre theory and, using Chapter 8 of the text as a reference, thoroughly describe the conventions and attributes of your selected genre. Website Powerpoint? ? Identify a feature-length film that fits this genre and comparison essay two people provide a basic summary of the movie. Writing On War? As you develop this summary, remember the differences between a film’s story and a film’s plot and how these differences can lead to the inclusion of genre elements. And Contrast Between Two People? ? Interpret at least two genre conventions exhibited in website powerpoint, your chosen feature-length film that help classify it in the selected genre.

Be sure to provide a specific example of each convention (e.g., a particular scene or plot component). And Contrast Between Two People? ? Provide an example of writing hooks for expository essays a third convention from your chosen feature-length film and explain how this convention expands the boundaries of. Words: 429 - Pages: 2. . Themes Regina Walker ENG 225: Introduction to Film Instructor: Christopher McBride January 17, 2016 The movie I chose to comparison and contrast essay between, discuss for the theme topic is Goodfellas. The major theme of this movie is military writing about Henry a young man in little Italy who wants to become a wise guy. Comparison Between Two People? The mafia was always considered a very tight group, and the gangsters' mob family was just as important as their own family. This is first seen in the last essays bernanos, the movie when Henry first starts working part time for essay between Paulie.

Paulie introduced Henry to Jimmy and Tommy who introduced him to a true life of crime and anthem for doomed youth essays thus began a career of comparison and contrast essay between two people major crimes. http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/goodfellas-1990 Three techniques used in this film that contribute to powerpoint, the establishment of the theme are Lighting: This movie was shot in traditional and and contrast two people high- key lighting. This can be seen through this entire film, the writing hooks essays movie had a few low-key lighting points however; they were not as prevalent as the high key ones. Costuming: The clothing and design in this film are those of an era in between two people, which grace and elegance where still key factors in how people dressed. The makeup was neat and website powerpoint flawless and the clothes were timeless and fashionable. In the scene in which Henry and Karen went on a date she wears a dress and long gloves something customary of comparison and contrast what women wore back then. His suit was fitted and not sloppy or too baggy or big it was tailored to fit him and he wore it well when they entered the restaurant, although through the back. Words: 752 - Pages: 4. Eng 225 Week 2 Assignment Genres and Genre Film New. . ENG 225 Week 2 Assignment Genres and website powerpoint presentation Genre Film NEW To Buy This material Click below link http://www.uoptutors.com/eng-225-ash/eng-225-week-2-assignment-genres-and-genre-film-new Genres and Genre Film. After reviewing the essay two people discussion of genre in anthem youth essays, Chapter 8 of Film: From Watching to Seeing, demonstrate your understanding of one selected genre using a feature-length film. Note: Several films are listed in Chapter 8 as emblematic of comparison two people a specific genre.

You are allowed to choose a film or genre not mentioned in Chapter 8, but you are strongly encouraged to email your professor to receive approval before doing so. In 800 to 1200 words: Explain genre theory and, using Chapter 8 of the text as a reference, thoroughly describe the conventions and attributes of your selected genre. Identify a feature-length film that fits this genre and the last bernanos provide a basic summary of the comparison movie. As you develop this summary, remember the anthem for doomed essays differences between a film’s story and comparison and contrast a film’s plot and writing on war how these differences can lead to the inclusion of essay genre elements. Interpret at least two genre conventions exhibited in hooks for expository, your chosen feature-length film that help classify it in the selected genre. Be sure to provide a specific example of each convention (e.g., a particular scene or plot component). Provide an example of between two people a third convention from your chosen feature-length film and explain how this convention expands the military writing service boundaries of the specified genre. Your paper should be organized around a thesis. Words: 426 - Pages: 2.

Eng 225 Week 2 Assignment Genres and Genre Film. . ENG 225 Week 2 Assignment Genres and Genre Film Click Link Below To Buy: http://hwcampus.com/shop/eng-225/eng-225-week-2-assignment-genres-and-genre-film/ Or Visit www.hwcampus.com ENG 225 Week 2 Assignment Genres and comparison between two people Genre Film Genres and Genre Film. Writing For Expository Essays? After reviewing the discussion of comparison and contrast essay genre in Chapter 8 of hooks essays Film: From Watching to Seeing, demonstrate your understanding of one selected genre using a feature-length film. Note: Several films are listed in Chapter 8 as emblematic of a specific genre. And Contrast Between Two People? You are allowed to choose a film or genre not mentioned in women essays, Chapter 8, but you are strongly encouraged to email your professor to comparison essay between two people, receive approval before doing so. In 800 to 1200 words: ? Explain genre theory and, using Chapter 8 of the text as a reference, thoroughly describe the conventions and attributes of your selected genre. ? Identify a feature-length film that fits this genre and bernanos provide a basic summary of the movie. As you develop this summary, remember the differences between a film’s story and and contrast between two people a film’s plot and how these differences can lead to the inclusion of genre elements. ? Interpret at least two genre conventions exhibited in your chosen feature-length film that help classify it in the selected genre. Be sure to provide a specific example of each convention (e.g., a particular scene or plot component). ? Provide an example of a third convention from your chosen feature-length film and explain how this convention expands the boundaries of. Words: 429 - Pages: 2. . Women In Construction? Genre and Genre Film Introduction to comparison and contrast essay between, Film Rachel Kamrowski Instructor Day 5/2/2016 Genre Theory is used in the categorization of films. Genres are dependent on anthem various factors such as story line, whom the director is, and what are the audience expectations In using genre theory we create a short cut in comparison essay between two people, how we describe films. Genres are categorized into and then sub categorized depending on the story and plot.

Fantasy is a genre described as, “Any film with obviously unreal, magical, or impossible situations, characters, or settings, often overlapping with various other genres, especially science fiction, but sometimes historical dramas.” (Goodykoontz, 2014) Fantasy is a genre that typically includes a crossover genre, sci-fi, comedy, drama, even horror. The Harry Potter series is a great example of a fantasy genre with crossover and sub genres. It can be categorized also as a family film, and dependent on which movie in the series we are discussing, mystery, romance, and comedy as well. Harry Potter focuses on magic and in construction the wizarding world which is essay between central to it being a fantasy film, an escapism experience. This type of fantasy is a contemporary fantasy with the website presentation storyline playing out in modern times.

For the purpose of this paper I will focus on Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. “The story at its simplest level is the idea about what happens, who does it, and all the two people reasons behind everything. The Last Essays Of Georges? The writer then chooses key characters and essay two people events, and arranges.

Write My Paper For Me -
Similarities Between Two People, Essay Sample - EssayBasics com

The terrorist inside my husband's brain. Funding for Travel or Speaker Honoraria: Clinical Procedures or Imaging Studies: Research Support, Foundations and Societies: Serving on comparison and contrast essay, the board of directors for the American Brain Foundation. Stock/Stock Options/Board of Directors Compensation: License Fee Payments, Technology or Inventions:

Royalty Payments, Technology or Inventions: Stock/Stock Options, Medical Equipment Materials: I am writing to women essays, share a story with you, specifically for you. My hope is that it will help you understand your patients along with their spouses and caregivers a little more. And as for the research you do, perhaps this will add a few more faces behind the why you do what you do. I am sure there are already so many.

This is a personal story, sadly tragic and comparison two people, heartbreaking, but by sharing this information with you I know that you can help make a difference in the lives of others. As you may know, my husband Robin Williams had the little-known but deadly Lewy body disease (LBD). He died from suicide in 2014 at for doomed essays the end of an intense, confusing, and relatively swift persecution at and contrast essay two people the hand of this disease's symptoms and pathology. For Doomed Youth Essays! He was not alone in his traumatic experience with this neurologic disease. Comparison And Contrast Two People! As you may know, almost 1.5 million nationwide are suffering similarly right now. Although not alone, his case was extreme. Not until the coroner's report, 3 months after his death, would I learn that it was diffuse LBD that took him. Hooks Essays! All 4 of the doctors I met with afterwards and who had reviewed his records indicated his was one of the worst pathologies they had seen. Comparison Between! He had about 40% loss of women essays dopamine neurons and almost no neurons were free of Lewy bodies throughout the entire brain and brainstem. Robin is and will always be a larger-than-life spirit who was inside the body of a normal man with a human brain.

He just happened to be that 1 in 6 who is between, affected by brain disease. Not only did I lose my husband to LBD, I lost my best friend. Robin and I had in each other a safe harbor of essays unconditional love that we had both always longed for. For 7 years together, we got to tell each other our greatest hopes and comparison and contrast, fears without any judgment, just safety. As we said often to one another, we were each other's anchor and mojo: that magical elixir of feeling grounded and inspired at the same time by each other's presence. One of military service my favorite bedrock things we would do together was review how our days went. Comparison Essay Two People! Often, this was more than just at anthem for doomed youth essays the end of the day. It did not matter if we were both working at home, traveling together, or if he was on comparison, the road. Essays! We would discuss our joys and triumphs, our fears and insecurities, and comparison and contrast two people, our concerns. Any obstacles life threw at us individually or as a couple were somehow surmountable because we had each other. When LBD began sending a firestorm of symptoms our way, this foundation of friendship and love was our armor.

The colors were changing and the air was crisp; it was already late October of 2013 and our second wedding anniversary. Women Essays! Robin had been under his doctors' care. He had been struggling with symptoms that seemed unrelated: constipation, urinary difficulty, heartburn, sleeplessness and insomnia, and a poor sense of and contrast between two people smell—and lots of stress. He also had a slight tremor in his left hand that would come and go. For the the last, time being, that was attributed to a previous shoulder injury.

On this particular weekend, he started having gut discomfort. Having been by comparison essay two people my husband's side for many years already, I knew his normal reactions when it came to women, fear and comparison and contrast essay, anxiety. What would follow was markedly out of character for him. Best Military Resume Writing! His fear and anxiety skyrocketed to a point that was alarming. I wondered privately, Is my husband a hypochondriac? Not until after Robin left us would I discover that a sudden and prolonged spike in comparison and contrast essay, fear and anxiety can be an early indication of LBD. He was tested for diverticulitis and the results were negative. Creative! Like the rest of the between two people, symptoms that followed, they seemed to come and go at the last essays random times. Some symptoms were more prevalent than others, but these increased in frequency and between two people, severity over the next 10 months.

By wintertime, problems with paranoia, delusions and looping, insomnia, memory, and high cortisol levels—just to name a few—were settling in website, hard. Between Two People! Psychotherapy and other medical help was becoming a constant in anthem, trying to manage and solve these seemingly disparate conditions. I was getting accustomed to the two of us spending more time in reviewing our days. The subjects though were starting to fall predominantly in the category of fear and anxiety. These concerns that used to have a normal range of essay between two people tenor were beginning to lodge at a high frequency for him. Once the coroner's report was reviewed, a doctor was able to point out to me that there was a high concentration of of georges Lewy bodies within the amygdala. This likely caused the acute paranoia and out-of-character emotional responses he was having. How I wish he could have known why he was struggling, that it was not a weakness in his heart, spirit, or character.

In early April, Robin had a panic attack. He was in Vancouver, filming Night at essay two people the Museum 3 . His doctor recommended an antipsychotic medication to service, help with the anxiety. It seemed to make things better in some ways, but far worse in others. Quickly we searched for something else. Not until after he left us would I discover that antipsychotic medications often make things worse for people with LBD. Also, Robin had a high sensitivity to two people, medications and sometimes his reactions were unpredictable. Anthem Youth! This is apparently a common theme in people with LBD.

During the filming of the movie, Robin was having trouble remembering even one line for his scenes, while just 3 years prior he had played in and contrast essay between, a full 5-month season of the essays, Broadway production Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo , often doing two shows a day with hundreds of comparison between two people lines—and not one mistake. This loss of memory and inability to control his anxiety was devastating to him. While I was on a photo shoot at Phoenix Lake, capturing scenes to paint, he called several times. Website! He was very concerned with insecurities he was having about himself and interactions with others. We went over and contrast, every detail. The fears were unfounded and I could not convince him otherwise. Essays Of Georges! I was powerless in helping him see his own brilliance. For the first time, my own reasoning had no effect in helping my husband find the light through the tunnels of comparison his fear.

I felt his disbelief in the truths I was saying. My heart and my hope were shattered temporarily. We had reached a place we had never been before. My husband was trapped in the twisted architecture of essays his neurons and no matter what I did I could not pull him out. In early May, the movie wrapped and comparison and contrast essay between, he came home from Vancouver—like a 747 airplane coming in with no landing gear. Writing For Expository Essays! I have since learned that people with LBD who are highly intelligent may appear to be okay for longer initially, but then, it is as though the dam suddenly breaks and they cannot hold it back anymore. In Robin's case, on top of being a genius, he was a Julliard-trained actor.

I will never know the between two people, true depth of his suffering, nor just how hard he was fighting. The Last Of Georges! But from where I stood, I saw the bravest man in the world playing the hardest role of his life. Robin was losing his mind and he was aware of it. Can you imagine the pain he felt as he experienced himself disintegrating ? And not from something he would ever know the name of, or understand? Neither he, nor anyone could stop it—no amount of intelligence or love could hold it back. Powerless and frozen, I stood in the darkness of not knowing what was happening to my husband. Was it a single source, a single terrorist, or was this a combo pack of disease raining down on him? He kept saying, “I just want to reboot my brain.” Doctor appointments, testing, and psychiatry kept us in perpetual motion. Countless blood tests, urine tests, plus rechecks of cortisol levels and lymph nodes.

A brain scan was done, looking for a possible tumor on his pituitary gland, and his cardiologist rechecked his heart. Everything came back negative, except for high cortisol levels. We wanted to be happy about comparison two people all the negative test results, but Robin and I both had a deep sense that something was terribly wrong. On May 28th, he was diagnosed with Parkinson disease (PD). We had an answer. My heart swelled with hope. But somehow I knew Robin was not buying it.

When we were in the neurologist's office learning exactly what this meant, Robin had a chance to ask some burning questions. Website Presentation! He asked, “Do I have Alzheimer's? Dementia? Am I schizophrenic?” The answers were the best we could have gotten: No, no, and no. There were no indications of these other diseases.

It is apparent to me now that he was most likely keeping the and contrast essay two people, depth of his symptoms to himself. Robin continued doing all the right things—therapy, physical therapy, bike riding, and working out with his trainer. He used all the skills he picked up and had fine-tuned from the Dan Anderson retreat in the last essays of georges, Minnesota, like deeper 12-step work, meditation, and essay between, yoga. We went to see a specialist at Stanford University who taught him self-hypnosis techniques to best resume service, quell the irrational fears and anxiety. Nothing seemed to alleviate his symptoms for long. Throughout all of and contrast between two people this, Robin was clean and sober, and somehow, we sprinkled those summer months with happiness, joy, and the simple things we loved: meals and birthday celebrations with family and friends, meditating together, massages, and movies, but mostly just holding each other's hand. Robin was growing weary. The parkinsonian mask was ever present and women in construction, his voice was weakened. His left hand tremor was continuous now and he had a slow, shuffling gait. Comparison Essay Between! He hated that he could not find the words he wanted in hooks, conversations.

He would thrash at night and still had terrible insomnia. At times, he would find himself stuck in a frozen stance, unable to move, and comparison and contrast essay between two people, frustrated when he came out of writing for expository it. He was beginning to have trouble with visual and spatial abilities in the way of judging distance and depth. His loss of basic reasoning just added to his growing confusion. It felt like he was drowning in comparison essay two people, his symptoms, and I was drowning along with him. Typically the writing essays, plethora of comparison and contrast essay LBD symptoms appear and disappear at random times—even throughout the course of a day. I experienced my brilliant husband being lucid with clear reasoning 1 minute and then, 5 minutes later, blank, lost in powerpoint, confusion. Prior history can also complicate a diagnosis.

In Robin's case, he had a history of depression that had not been active for 6 years. So when he showed signs of depression just months before he left, it was interpreted as a satellite issue, maybe connected to and contrast between two people, PD. Throughout the course of Robin's battle, he had experienced nearly all of the 40-plus symptoms of LBD, except for one. He never said he had hallucinations. A year after he left, in speaking with one of the doctors who reviewed his records, it became evident that most likely he did have hallucinations, but was keeping that to himself. It was nearing the end of July and we were told Robin would need to have inpatient neurocognitive testing done in anthem for doomed essays, order to and contrast essay two people, evaluate the mood disorder aspect of his condition.

In the meantime, his medication was switched from Mirapex to Sinemet in military, an effort to reduce symptoms. We were assured Robin would be feeling better soon, and that his PD was early and mild. We felt hopeful again. What we did not know was that when these diseases “start” (are diagnosed) they have actually been going on for a long time. By now, our combined sleep deficit was becoming a danger to both of comparison and contrast essay us.

We were instructed to sleep apart until we could catch up on our sleep. Writing On War! The goal was to have him begin inpatient testing free of the sleep-deprived state he was in. As the second weekend in comparison essay between, August approached, it seemed his delusional looping was calming down. Maybe the switch in medications was working. We did all the things we love on Saturday day and into the evening, it was perfect—like one long date. For Expository! By the end of comparison and contrast Sunday, I was feeling that he was getting better. When we retired for sleep, in our customary way, my husband said to me, “Goodnight, my love,” and waited for my familiar reply: “Goodnight, my love.”

His words still echo through my heart today. Monday, August 11, Robin was gone. After Robin left, time has never functioned the same for me. My search for meaning has replicated like an inescapable spring throughout nearly every aspect of my world, including the women in construction essays, most mundane. Robin and comparison essay two people, I had begun our unplanned research on the brain through the door of military blind experience. During the final months we shared together, our sights were locked fast on identifying and vanquishing the terrorist within his brain. Since then, I have continued our research but on and contrast essay, the other side of that experience, in the realm of the science behind it. Three months after Robin's death, the autopsy report was finally ready for review. When the women in construction essays, forensic pathologist and coroner's deputy asked if I was surprised by the diffuse LBD pathology, I said, “Absolutely not,” even though I had no idea what it meant at the time.

The mere fact that something had invaded nearly every region of my husband's brain made perfect sense to me. In the comparison two people, year that followed, I set out to expand my view and essays of georges, understanding of and contrast essay two people LBD. Powerpoint! I met with medical professionals who had reviewed Robin's last 2 years of medical records, the coroner's report, and brain scans. Their reactions were all the comparison between two people, same: that Robin's was one of the worst LBD pathologies they had seen and anthem for doomed youth, that there was nothing else anyone could have done. Our entire medical team was on the right track and we would have gotten there eventually. In fact, we were probably close. But would having a diagnosis while he was alive really have made a difference when there is no cure? We will never know the comparison essay between, answer to this.

I am not convinced that the knowledge would have done much more than prolong Robin's agony while he would surely become one of the most famous test subjects of new medicines and best military service, ongoing medical trials. Comparison And Contrast Essay! Even if we experienced some level of comfort in knowing the name, and presentation, fleeting hope from temporary comfort with medications, the terrorist was still going to kill him. There is comparison and contrast essay between two people, no cure and Robin's steep and rapid decline was assured. The massive proliferation of Lewy bodies throughout his brain had done so much damage to neurons and neurotransmitters that in effect, you could say he had chemical warfare in his brain. One professional stated, “It was as if he had cancer throughout every organ of his body.” The key problem seemed to be that no one could correctly interpret Robin's symptoms in time. I was driven to learn everything I could about this disease that I finally had the name of. Some of what I learned surprised me. One neuropathologist described LBD and PD as being at opposite ends of a disease spectrum. That spectrum is website presentation, based on something they share in common: the presence of Lewy bodies—the unnatural clumping of the and contrast between two people, normal protein, ?-synuclein, within brain neurons.

I was also surprised to creative writing essay, learn that a person is diagnosed with LBD vs PD depending on which symptoms present first. After months and months, I was finally able to be specific about Robin's disease. Two People! Clinically he had PD, but pathologically he had diffuse LBD. The predominant symptoms Robin had were not physical—the pathology more than backed that up. However you look at essays it—the presence of and contrast Lewy bodies took his life. The journey Robin and I were on together has led me to writing hooks essays, knowing the American Academy of Neurology and other groups and doctors. It has led me to between, discover the American Brain Foundation, where I now serve on the Board of Directors. This is where you come into the story.

Hopefully from this sharing of in construction our experience you will be inspired to and contrast essay two people, turn Robin's suffering into writing hooks for expository something meaningful through your work and wisdom. It is my belief that when healing comes out of and contrast essay Robin's experience, he will not have battled and died in vain. You are uniquely positioned to presentation, help with this. I know you have accomplished much already in comparison between two people, the areas of research and discovery toward cures in brain disease. And I am sure at military service times the essay two people, progress has felt painfully slow. Do not give up. Trust that a cascade of cures and writing essay, discovery is imminent in all areas of brain disease and you will be a part of and contrast essay between making that happen. If only Robin could have met you. He would have loved you—not just because he was a genius and enjoyed science and discovery, but because he would have found a lot of writing material within your work to two people, use in entertaining his audiences, including the troops.

In fact, the most repeat character role he played throughout his career was a doctor, albeit different forms of practice. You and your work have ignited a spark within the region of my brain where curiosity and essays, interest lie and within my heart where hope lives. I want to follow you. Not like a crazed fan, but like someone who knows you just might be the one who discovers the cure for LBD and other brain diseases. Thank you for what you have done, and for what you are about to comparison essay between two people, do.

Write My Research Paper for Me -

35+ Creative Ways to List Job Skills on Your Resume. The competitive climate of the job market has reached a fever pitch in recent years. College degrees are almost as commonplace as high school diplomas, and the pool of candidates for any given career is far-reaching. To stand out in such an environment, job seekers need to focus on accentuating their experiences and backgrounds on their resumes. And Contrast Essay Between. A degree from a prestigious university or an impressive roster of past employers can certainly make a good impression on hiring managers, but the real test of a candidate#39;s fit is how well the person#39;s skills align with the position in question. Wendi Weiner, a certified professional resume writer and founder of The Writing Guru, noted that a job candidate#39;s skills and relevant knowledge are substantiated by the keywords they choose to use.

Industry-specific core skills will enable a job candidate to successfully pass through an essays, applicant tracking system (ATS), which is utilized by [the majority] of companies today to obtain the right candidates, Weiner said. While it#39;s good to have a well-rounded skills section, it#39;s not enough to simply list a string of phrases. Josh Ridgeway, director of MSP delivery for staffing agency Kavaliro, reminded job seekers that hiring managers want to see concrete examples of those skills in action. Comparison Essay Between. [See Related Story: Meaningless Words to Delete from Your Resume ] In resumes, you see a skills summary, [which includes] problem solving, excellent customer service, attention to powerpoint, detail, etc., Ridgeway told Business News Daily. Essay Between. However, oftentimes, we don#39;t see an explanation of those skills. If you have #39;problem solving#39; and #39;critical thinking#39; in your resume, you should tie those skills into best writing, your explanation of and contrast, job duties and how those specific skills played an important part. The challenge is greater for the last of georges, those who have been laid off or who have been out of and contrast essay between two people, work for an extended period of time. For these professionals, the task of proving that their skills are relevant can be a little more difficult than it is for other job seekers. Ford R. Myers, a career coach, speaker and author of the book, Get The Job You Want, Even When No One#39;s Hiring (John Wiley Sons, 2009), advised considering transferable skills that you#39;ve gained from paid and unpaid past experiences. Transferable skills acquired during any activity volunteer positions, classes, projects, parenting, hobbies, sports can be applicable to one#39;s next job, Myers said. By adding transferable skills to a resume, employers get a better understanding and broader picture of women in construction, who they are hiring, as well as the and contrast essay two people, interests, values and experiences that the candidate brings to best military resume, the table.

Based on the advice of our expert sources, here are a few broad categories of skills your resume could include, along with unique ways to express them. Jobs require teamwork. There will be constant back-and-forth exchanges with co-workers, and and contrast, discussing and women essays, sharing ideas with supervisors. Employers will want to comparison and contrast essay, know the level ofcommunication skills you have and how well you work with others. The specific required skills will vary based on your position. A sales representative, for instance, would need to highlight customer service and relationship-building experience.

On your resume: writes clearly and for expository, concisely; listens attentively; openly expresses ideas, negotiates/resolves differences; provides and comparison and contrast between, asks for feedback; offers well-thought-out solutions; cooperates and works well with others; thrives in a collaborative environment. If the job you want involves working on research projects and best military resume writing, companywide campaigns, you#39;re going to want to show off your top-notch planning abilities. Organization skills may sound like a trite, overused filler term, but those skills are the ones that will help you succeed. Show potential employers you#39;ve got what they#39;re looking for and contrast essay, by outlining your involvement in, and results from, current and previous projects. Anthem Youth Essays. On your resume: forecasts/predicts; identifies and gathers appropriate resources; thoroughly researches background information; develops strategies; thinks critically to solve problems; handles details; coordinates and completes tasks; manages projects effectively; meets deadlines; plans and arranges activities; multitasks; creates plans. Leadership skills can be gained in a variety of and contrast essay between two people, conventional and unconventional ways, but it#39;s not always easy to women in construction essays, express them on a resume. Between Two People. Demonstrating your management abilities on paper requires you to think about what it is the last essays of georges bernanos, you do as a leader and how you guide your employees toward success.

To give employers a better idea of essay, what you#39;ve accomplished, discuss the size of the team and the scope of the projects you manage. Military. On your resume: leads and directs others; teaches/trains/instructs; counsels/coaches; manages conflict; helps team members set and achieve goals; delegates effectively; makes and implements decisions; enforces policies; oversees projects; measures team results. Social media is one of the most ubiquitous and between two people, in-demand skills for jobs in a variety of essays of georges bernanos, fields. Socially active organizations are more likely to attract top talent, drive new sales leads and better engage other employees and comparison, customers, said Amir Zonozi, chief of strategy at social engagement platform Zoomph. Therefore, when employers look for new hires, they#39;re also typically looking for new internal-brand ambassadors. Zonozi noted that, for positions that directly involve work on hooks for expository essays corporate social media campaigns, hiring managers love to see concrete numbers and metrics, including Web traffic, audience reach and comparison and contrast essay, overall engagement.

Even for nonsocial-media-related positions, you can still demonstrate your experience by referencing specific networks and social media management programs you regularly use. On your resume: manages social media campaigns; measures and resume writing service, analyzes campaign results; identifies and connects with industry influencers; sparks social conversation within the brand#39;s community; creates and executes content strategies; drives engagement and leads; enhances brand image through social presence. Additional reporting by Nicole Fallon Taylor and Jeanette Mulvey. Shannon Gausepohl graduated from Rowan University in 2012 with a degree in journalism. Comparison And Contrast Between. She has worked at a newspaper and in for doomed youth essays the public relations field, and comparison essay between two people, is currently a staff writer at Business News Daily.

Shannon is a zealous bookworm, has her blue belt in the last of georges bernanos Brazilian jiu jitsu, and comparison and contrast essay two people, loves her Blue Heeler mix, Tucker.

Custom Essay Order -

Is the Criminal-Justice System Racist? T he race industry and its elite enablers take it as self-evident that high black incarceration rates result from discrimination. At a presidential primary debate this Martin Luther King Day, for instance, Senator Barack Obama charged that blacks and whites “are arrested at very different rates, are convicted at very different rates, [and] receive very different sentences . . . for comparison and contrast two people the same crime.” Not to be outdone, Senator Hillary Clinton promptly denounced the “disgrace of a criminal-justice system that incarcerates so many more African-Americans proportionately than whites.” If a listener didn’t know anything about crime, such charges of disparate treatment might seem plausible. After all, in 2006, blacks were 37.5 percent of all state and writing federal prisoners, though they’re under 13 percent of the national population. Comparison Essay Between Two People! About one in 33 black men was in prison in 2006, compared with one in 205 white men and one in 79 Hispanic men. Eleven percent of all black males between the ages of anthem for doomed 20 and 34 are in prison or jail. The dramatic rise in comparison essay between the prison and jail population over the last three decades—to 2.3 million people at the end of 2007 (see box)—has only amplified the racial accusations against the criminal-justice system. The favorite culprits for high black prison rates include a biased legal system, draconian drug enforcement, and even prison itself. None of website powerpoint these explanations stands up to scrutiny. The black incarceration rate is overwhelmingly a function of comparison essay between two people black crime.

Insisting otherwise only worsens black alienation and further defers a real solution to presentation, the black crime problem. R acial activists usually remain assiduously silent about that problem. But in 2005, the black homicide rate was over seven times higher than that of whites and Hispanics combined, according to the federal Bureau of Justice Statistics. And Contrast Between! From 1976 to 2005, blacks committed over 52 percent of all murders in America. In 2006, the essays bernanos, black arrest rate for most crimes was two to nearly three times blacks’ representation in the population. Blacks constituted 39.3 percent of all violent-crime arrests, including 56.3 percent of essay between all robbery and 34.5 percent of all aggravated-assault arrests, and 29.4 percent of for doomed youth essays all property-crime arrests. The advocates acknowledge such crime data only essay two people indirectly: by charging bias on the part of the system’s decision makers. As Obama suggested in the Martin Luther King debate, police, prosecutors, and judges treat blacks and whites differently “for the same crime.”

Let’s start with the idea that cops over-arrest blacks and of georges ignore white criminals. In fact, the comparison essay between, race of criminals reported by crime victims matches arrest data. As long ago as 1978, a study of robbery and aggravated assault in eight cities found parity between the race of assailants in victim identifications and in arrests—a finding replicated many times since, across a range of writing on war crimes. And Contrast Two People! No one has ever come up with a plausible argument as to why crime victims would be biased in their reports. Moving up the enforcement chain, the campaign against essays the criminal-justice system next claims that prosecutors overcharge and judges oversentence blacks. Obama describes this alleged postarrest treatment as “Scooter Libby justice for and contrast essay two people some and Jena justice for others.” Jena, Louisiana, of course, was where a D.A. Writing Hooks For Expository! initially lodged attempted second-degree murder charges against black students who, in December 2006, slammed a white student’s head against a concrete beam, knocking him unconscious, and then stomped and kicked him in the head while he was down. As Charlotte Allen has brilliantly chronicled in and contrast essay between two people The Weekly Standard , a local civil rights activist crafted a narrative linking the attack to an unrelated incident months earlier, in which three white students hung two nooses from a schoolyard tree—a display that may or may not have been intended as a racial provocation. This entrepreneur then embellished the bernanos, tale with other alleged instances of redneck racism—above all, the initial attempted-murder charges. An enthusiastic national press responded to the bait exactly as intended, transforming the “Jena Six” into victims rather than perpetrators. Between Two People! In the seven months of ensuing headlines and protests, Jena became a symbol of hooks for expository essays systemic racial unfairness in America’s court system. If blacks were disproportionately in prison, the essay between two people, refrain went, it was because they faced biased prosecutors—like the one in the last Jena—as well as biased juries and judges.

Backing up this bias claim has been the holy grail of criminology for decades—and the prize remains as elusive as ever. In 1997, criminologists Robert Sampson and Janet Lauritsen reviewed the massive literature on charging and sentencing. They concluded that “large racial differences in and contrast between two people criminal offending,” not racism, explained why more blacks were in prison proportionately than whites and for longer terms. A 1987 analysis of Georgia felony convictions, for women in construction example, found that blacks frequently received disproportionately lenient punishment. A 1990 study of 11,000 California cases found that slight racial disparities in sentence length resulted from blacks’ prior records and other legally relevant variables. A 1994 Justice Department survey of felony cases from the essay between, country’s 75 largest urban areas discovered that blacks actually had a lower chance of website powerpoint presentation prosecution following a felony than whites did and that they were less likely to comparison and contrast essay between two people, be found guilty at trial. The Last Of Georges Bernanos! Following conviction, blacks were more likely to receive prison sentences, however—an outcome that reflected the gravity of between their offenses as well as their criminal records. Another criminologist—easily as liberal as Sampson—reached the same conclusion in 1995: “Racial differences in patterns of offending, not racial bias by police and writing other officials, are the principal reason that such greater proportions of blacks than whites are arrested, prosecuted, convicted and imprisoned,” Michael Tonry wrote in and contrast essay Malign Neglect . The Last Bernanos! (Tonry did go on to impute malign racial motives to drug enforcement, however.) The media’s favorite criminologist, Alfred Blumstein, found in 1993 that blacks were significantly underrepresented in prison for homicide compared with their presence in arrest. This consensus hasn’t made the slightest dent in the ongoing search for systemic racism. An entire industry in the law schools now dedicates itself to flushing out prosecutorial and judicial bias, using ever more complicated statistical artillery.

The net result? A few new studies show tiny, unexplained racial disparities in sentencing, while other analyses continue to find none. Any differences that do show up are trivially small compared with the exponentially greater rates of and contrast criminal offending among blacks. No criminologist would claim, moreover, to have controlled for every legal factor that affects criminal-justice outcomes, says Patrick Langan, former senior statistician for the Bureau of Justice Statistics. Prosecutors and judges observe the heinousness of a defendant’s conduct, for example, but a number-crunching researcher has no easy way to discover and creative writing essay quantify that variable. Some criminologists replace statistics with High Theory in their search for racism. The criminal-justice system does treat individual suspects and comparison between criminals equally, they concede. The Last Essays! But the problem is how society defines crime and criminals. Crime is and contrast essay, a social construction designed to marginalize minorities, these theorists argue.

A liberal use of scare quotes is virtually mandatory in such discussions, to signal one’s distance from primitive notions like “law-abiding” and “dangerous.” Arguably, vice crimes are partly definitional (though even there, the law enforcement system focuses on military service, them to the extent that they harm communities). But the social constructivists are talking about all crime, and it’s hard to see how one could “socially reconstruct” assault or robbery so as to convince victims that they haven’t been injured. U nfair drug policies are an equally popular explanation for black incarceration rates. Essay Two People! Legions of anthem youth essays pundits, activists, and academics charge that the comparison essay two people, war on drugs is a war on minorities—a de facto war at best, an intentional one at worst. Playing a starring role in this conceit are federal crack penalties, the source of the website powerpoint, greatest amount of misinformation in the race and incarceration debate. Essay! Crack is a smokeable and creative writing on war highly addictive cocaine concentrate, created by cooking powder cocaine until it hardens into pellets called “rocks.” Crack produces a faster—and more potent—high than powder cocaine, and it’s easier to use, since smoking avoids the unpleasantness of needles and is more efficient than snorting. Under the essay two people, 1986 federal Anti-Drug Abuse Act, getting caught with five grams of crack carries a mandatory minimum five-year sentence in federal court; to trigger the same five-year minimum, powder-cocaine traffickers would have to get caught with 500 grams. On average, federal crack sentences are three to women essays, six times longer than powder sentences for equivalent amounts.

The media love to target the federal crack penalties because crack defendants are likely to be black. In 2006, 81 percent of comparison and contrast between two people federal crack defendants were black, while only 27 percent of federal powder-cocaine defendants were. Since federal crack rules are more severe than those for service powder, and crack offenders are disproportionately black, those rules must explain why so many blacks are in prison, the conventional wisdom holds. But consider the actual number of crack sellers sentenced in comparison between two people federal court each year. In 2006, 5,619 were tried federally, 4,495 of them black. From 1996 to 2000, the federal courts sentenced more powder traffickers (23,743) than crack traffickers (23,121). It’s going to take a lot more than 5,000 or so crack defendants a year to account for the 562,000 black prisoners in state and federal facilities at the end of 2006—or the 858,000 black prisoners in women in construction custody overall, if one includes the between, population of county and city jails.

Nor do crack/powder disparities at the state level explain black incarceration rates: only military 13 states distinguish between crack and comparison and contrast essay two people powder sentences, and they employ much smaller sentence differentials. The press almost never mentions the federal methamphetamine-trafficking penalties, which are identical to those for crack: five grams of meth net you a mandatory minimum five-year sentence. In 2006, the 5,391 sentenced federal meth defendants (nearly as many as the crack defendants) were 54 percent white, 39 percent Hispanic, and creative essay 2 percent black. But no one calls the and contrast two people, federal meth laws anti-Hispanic or anti-white. N evertheless, the federal crack penalties dominate discussions on race and incarceration because they seem to provide a concrete example of egregious racial disparity. Presentation! This leads to a commonly expressed syllogism: crack penalties have a disparate impact on blacks; disparate impact is racist; therefore, crack penalties are racist. This syllogism has been particularly prominent recently, thanks to the U.S. Sentencing Commission’s 2007 decision to lighten federal crack penalties retroactively in the name of racial equity.

The press has covered this development voraciously, serving up a massive dose of and contrast essay between two people crack revisionism aimed at anthem for doomed youth essays, proving the racist origins of the war on crack. Crack was never a big deal, the revisionist story line goes. But when Boston Celtics draft pick Len Bias died of and contrast essay a crack overdose in 1986, the media went into overdrive covering the crack phenomenon. “Images—or perhaps anecdotes—about the evils of crack, and the street crime it was presumed to stoke” circulated, as the New York Times archly put it in for expository essays a December 2007 article. A “moral panic” (Michael Tonry’s term) ensued about an comparison and contrast two people, imaginary threat from a powerless minority group. Whites feared that addicted blacks would invade their neighborhoods. Sensational stories about “crack babies” surfaced. All this hysteria resulted in the unnecessary federal crack penalties. Since the 1980s, the revisionist narrative continues, experts have determined that powder and crack show more pharmacological “similarities than differences,” in the Times ’s words, and that crack is no more damaging to essays, fetuses than alcohol. The belief that crack was an inner-city scourge was thus a racist illusion, and between two people the sentencing structure to quell it a racist assault. Or, as U.S. District Judge Clyde Cahill put it, in what one hopes is not a representative sample of the writing hooks essays, federal judicial temperament: “Legislators’ unconscious racial aversion towards blacks, sparked by unsubstantiated reports of the effects of crack, reactionary media prodding, and an agitated constituency, motivated the comparison, legislators . . Hooks For Expository Essays! . to essay two people, produce a dual system of anthem youth essays punishment.”

Leave aside the irony of the press’s now declaring smugly that the press exaggerated the ravages of crack. (The same New York Times that now sneers at “images—or perhaps anecdotes—about the evils of crack” ran searing photos of comparison and contrast between crack addicts in 1993 that included a woman kneeling before a crack dealer, unzipping his fly, a baby clinging to her back; such degraded prostitutes, known as “strawberries,” were pervasive casualties of the epidemic.) The biggest problem with the revisionist narrative is the last essays of georges bernanos, its unreality. The assertion that concern about crack resulted from between two people, “unconscious racial aversion towards blacks” ignores a key fact: black leaders were the first to best military, sound the alarm about the comparison and contrast, drug, as Harvard law professor Randall Kennedy documents in Race, Crime, and the Law . The Last Of Georges! Harlem congressman Charles Rangel initiated the comparison essay two people, federal response to the epidemic, warning the House of Representatives in best March 1986 that crack had made cocaine “frightening[ly]” accessible to youth. A few months later, Brooklyn congressman Major Owens explicitly rejected what is now received wisdom about essay two people, media hype. “None of the press accounts really have exaggerated what is actually going on,” Owens said; the crack epidemic was “as bad as any articles have stated.” Queens congressman Alton Waldon then called on his colleagues to act: “For those of us who are black this self-inflicted pain is the worst oppression we have known since slavery. . . . Let us . . . Women In Construction! pledge to crack down on crack.” The bill that eventually passed, containing the crack/powder distinction, won majority support among black congressmen, none of whom, as Kennedy points out, objected to it as racist. These politicians were reacting to a devastating outbreak of inner-city violence and comparison and contrast two people addiction unleashed by the new form of cocaine. Because crack came in small, easily digestible amounts, it democratized what had been a rarefied drug, making an intense high available to people with very little money. The crack market differed radically from the discreet phone transactions and essays private deliveries that characterized powder-cocaine distribution: volatile young dealers sold crack on street corners, using guns to establish their turf.

Crack, homicides, and assaults went hand in hand; certain areas of New York became “like a war zone,” retired DEA special agent Robert Stutman told PBS’s Frontline in 2000. The large national spike in violence in the mid-1980s was largely due to the crack trade, and its victims were overwhelmingly black inner-city residents. Though the elites are furiously rewriting crack history, many people who lived through it are not. Essay! In April 2007, Los Angeles prosecutor Robert Grace won the conviction of a crack dealer who had raped and strangled to website presentation, death ten strawberries between 1987 and 1998. Comparison And Contrast Between Two People! The “crack epidemic was one of the worst things that happened to the black and brown community,” Grace asserts. Matthew Kennedy managed an writing essay, infamous public housing project in Watts during the crack epidemic. “Some of us remember how bad it was,” he says. When children avoid school for fear of getting shot by drug gangs, “you’ve just lost that generation.” Lawrence Tolliver has witnessed his share of shootings outside his South Central barbershop. “Sometimes it was so bad you had to scout the horizon like a gazelle at a watering hole in Africa,” he recalls. It takes shameless sleight of hand to turn an and contrast essay, effort to protect blacks into for doomed youth a conspiracy against them. If Congress had ignored black legislators’ calls to increase cocaine-trafficking penalties, the comparison essay, outcry among the groups now crying racism would have been deafening. Yes, a legislative bidding war drove federal crack penalties ultimately to an arbitrary and excessive point; the reduction of those penalties is appropriate.

But what led to the crack-sentencing scheme wasn’t racism but legal logic. Prosecutors rely on heavy statutory penalties to induce defendants to spill the beans on their criminal colleagues. “An amazing public spirit is engendered when you tell someone he is best resume writing, facing 150 years to life but has the comparison and contrast between two people, possibility of getting out after eight if he tells you who committed a string of homicides,” says Walter Arsenault, who headed the Manhattan district attorney’s homicide-investigation unit in the 1980s and 1990s. R ace activists endlessly promote the claim that the draconian federal crack laws are sweeping up mere sad sacks with a little extra crack to spare. But anyone who fits that description is exempt from the creative writing essay, federal sentencing scheme. Traffickers with only a modest criminal history who didn’t injure others or have a gun when arrested can escape the mandatory federal sentences if they don’t lie to the government about their offense (there is no requirement to rat out others). Comparison Essay Two People! In 2006, only 15.4 percent of crack-cocaine defendants qualified for this safety-valve provision, compared with 48.4 percent of website powerpoint powder-cocaine offenders; in 2000, even fewer crack defendants qualified—12.6 percent. Essay! Crack sellers seldom merit the the last of georges, escape clause because their criminal histories tend to be much more severe than powder sellers’ and because they’re more likely to have or use weapons. Comparison And Contrast! The congressional distinction between crack and powder sellers, it turns out, had a firm grounding.

Equally misleading is the criticism that few crack “kingpins” can be found in federal prison. This is not surprising, because “kingpins” in the traditional sense—heads of major drug-importing rings—don’t exist in the crack world. Best Military Resume Service! Crack is not imported but cooked up locally. Its supply and and contrast essay distribution scheme is more horizontal than vertical, unlike that of powder cocaine and heroin. Of Georges! Federal crack enforcement wasn’t about stopping the flow of comparison and contrast illegal drugs into youth essays the country; it was about stopping urban violence.

And that violence was coming from street dealers. C ritics follow up their charges about crack with several empirical claims about drugs and imprisonment. And Contrast Essay Two People! None is true. The first is that drug enforcement has been the most important cause of the best service, overall rising incarceration rate since the 1980s. Yet even during the most rapid period of population growth in prisons—from 1980 to 1990—36 percent of the growth in state prisons (where 88 percent of the nation’s prisoners are housed) came from comparison essay between two people, violent crimes, compared with 33 percent from drug crimes.

Since then, drug offenders have played an even smaller role in state prison expansion. From 1990 to essay on war, 2000, violent offenders accounted for 53 percent of the census increase—and all of the increase from 1999 to 2004. Next, critics blame drug enforcement for comparison and contrast between two people rising racial disparities in prison. Again, the facts say otherwise. In Construction Essays! In 2006, blacks were 37.5 percent of the 1,274,600 state prisoners. If you remove drug prisoners from between, that population, the percentage of black prisoners drops to 37 percent—half of a percentage point, hardly a significant difference. (No criminologist, to the best of creative writing essay on war my knowledge, has ever performed this exercise.) The rise of drug cases in the criminal-justice system has been dramatic, it’s important to acknowledge. Comparison And Contrast Between! In 1979, drug offenders were 6.4 percent of the state prison population; in 2004, they were 20 percent. Creative On War! Even so, violent and property offenders continue to dominate the ranks: in and contrast 2004, 52 percent of state prisoners were serving time for violence and 21 percent for property crimes, for a combined total over three and website a half times that of state drug offenders.

In federal prisons, drug offenders went from 25 percent of all federal inmates in 1980 to 47.6 percent of all federal inmates in 2006. Drug-war opponents focus almost exclusively on federal, as opposed to state, prisons because the proportion of drug offenders is highest there. But the federal system held just 12.3 percent of the nation’s prisoners in 2006. S o much for the claim that blacks are disproportionately imprisoned because of the war on drugs. But a final, even more audacious, argument maintains that incarceration itself, not criminals, causes crime in black neighborhoods. Between! Because blacks have the women essays, highest prison rate, this argument holds, incarceration constitutes an unjust and disproportionate burden on them. This idea has gained wide currency in the academic world and in anti-incarceration think tanks.

Columbia University law professor Jeffrey Fagan offered a representative version of the theory in a 2003 law review article coauthored with two public health researchers. Comparison Essay Between! Sending black males to the last essays bernanos, prison “weakens the comparison and contrast essay between, general social control of children and especially adolescents,” Fagan writes. Incarceration increases the the last, number of single-parent households. With adult males missing from their neighborhoods, boys will be more likely to get involved in comparison two people crime, since they lack proper supervision. The net result: “Incarceration begets more incarceration [in] a vicious cycle.” A few questions present themselves. How many convicts were living in a stable relationship with the creative writing, mother (or one of the mothers) of essay between their children before being sent upstate? (Forget even asking about their marriage rate.) What kind of the last essays of georges positive guidance do men who are committing enough crimes to end up in prison, rather than on probation (an exceedingly high threshold), provide to young people? Further, if Fagan is right that keeping criminals out of prison and on the streets preserves a community’s social capital, inner cities should have thrived during the 1960s and early 1970s, when prison resources contracted sharply. In fact, New York’s poorest neighborhoods—the subject of essay between Fagan’s analysis—turned around only in the 1990s, when the resume writing, prison population reached its zenith. Fagan, like many other criminologists, conflates the effects of prison and comparison essay crime. Neighborhoods with high incarceration rates suffer disproportionate burdens, he claims.

Firms are reluctant to locate in for doomed youth essays such areas, decreasing job opportunities. Police pay closer attention to these high-incarceration zones, increasing the chance that any given criminal within them will wind up arrested. Thus, incarceration “provides a steady supply of offenders for more incarceration.” But if business owners think twice about comparison, certain communities, it’s because they fear crime, not a high concentration of ex-convicts per se. It’s unlikely that prospective employers even know the population of ex-cons in a neighborhood; what they are aware of is its crime rates. And an employer who hesitates to hire an ex-con is the last of georges, almost certainly reacting to his criminal record, even if he has been given community probation instead of prison. Likewise, if the police give extra scrutiny to neighborhoods with many ex-convicts, it’s because those convicts commit a lot of crime.

Finally, putting more criminals on probation, rather than sending them to prison—as Fagan and others advocate—would only and contrast two people increase law enforcement surveillance of of georges bernanos high-crime neighborhoods. This popular “social ecological” analysis of incarceration, as Fagan and other criminologists call it, treats prison like an outbreak of infectious disease that takes over certain communities, felling people on a seemingly random basis. “As the risks of going to jail or prison grow over between two people, time for persons living in those areas, their prospects for marriage or earning a living and family-sustaining wage diminish as the creative writing essay, incarceration rates around them rise,” Fagan says. This analysis elides the role of individual will. Fagan and others assume that once one lives in a high-incarceration—that is, high-crime—area, one can do little to avoid prison. But even in the most frayed urban communities, plenty of people choose to avoid the “Life.” Far from facing diminished marriage prospects, an upstanding, reliable young man in and contrast essay between two people the inner city would be regarded as a valuable catch. No one doubts that having a criminal record—whether it results in community probation or prison—is a serious handicap. People convicted of the last of georges crimes compete for jobs at a clear disadvantage with those who have stayed crime-free. But for all the popularity of the view that the system is to blame, it’s not hard to find dissenters who believe that individuals are responsible for the decision to break the law. “My position is not hard,” says public housing manager Matthew Kennedy. “You don’t have to do that crime.” Kennedy supported President Bill Clinton’s controversial 1996 “one-strike” rule for public housing, which allowed housing authorities to evict drug dealers and other lawbreaking tenants on their first offense. “I’m trying to protect the good people in comparison and contrast essay my community,” Kennedy explains. “A criminal record is preventable. It’s all on you.” Kennedy has no truck with the writing hooks, argument that it is unfair to send ex-offenders back to prison for violations of comparison and contrast between their parole conditions, such as staying away from their gang associates and hangouts. “Where do they take responsibility for their own actions?” he wonders. “You’ve been told, ‘Don’t come back to creative writing essay on war, this community.’ Why would you come back here? You’ve got to change your ways, change the habits that got you in there in the first place.” Though you’d never know it from comparison essay, reading the academic literature, some people in women essays minority communities even see prison as potentially positive for individuals as well as for communities. “I don’t buy the comparison between two people, idea that there’s no sense to prison,” says Clyde Fulford, a 54-year-old lifelong resident of the William Mead Homes, a downtown Los Angeles housing project.

Having raised his children to be hardworking, law-abiding citizens, Fulford is a real role model for his neighborhood, not the specious drug-dealing kind posited by the “social ecological” theory of incarceration. “I know a lot of people who went to prison,” Fulford says. “A lot changed they life for the better. Prison was they wake-up call.” Is prison unavoidable and of georges bernanos thus unfair? “They knew they was going to pay. It’s up to that person.” What if the prisoners hadn’t been locked up? “Many would be six feet under.” R obert Grace, the and contrast, Los Angeles prosecutor, is acutely aware of the fragility and preciousness of the women essays, rule of law. “As a civilized society, we can’t allow what’s happening in Latin America to take over here,” he says. “Venezuela and Mexico are awash in comparison and contrast essay between two people appalling violence because they don’t respect the law.” Thus, when prominent figures like Barack Obama make sweeping claims about racial unfairness in the criminal-justice system, they play with fire. “For any political candidate to make such claims out of expediency is wrong,” Grace says. “If they have statistics that back up the claim, I’d like to see them. But to create phony perceptions of injustice is as wrong as not doing anything about the real thing.” The evidence is clear: black prison rates result from crime, not racism. America’s comparatively high rates of hooks for expository essays incarceration are nothing to celebrate, of course, but the alternative is far worse. The dramatic drop in crime in the 1990s, to comparison between, which stricter sentencing policies unquestionably contributed, has freed thousands of website powerpoint presentation law-abiding inner-city residents from the bondage of fear.

Commerce and street life have revived in comparison and contrast essay between those urban neighborhoods where crime has fallen most. The pressure to divert even more offenders from prison, however, will undoubtedly grow. If a probation system can finally be crafted that provides as much public safety as prison, we should welcome it. But the continuing search for the chimera of criminal-justice bigotry is the last of georges bernanos, a useless distraction that diverts energy and comparison and contrast essay attention from the crucial imperative of helping more inner-city boys stay in school—and out of trouble. Punishment and Crime. Those who tar the criminal-justice system as racist often make a broader claim: incarceration doesn’t even lower crime, making the nation’s skyrocketing prison rolls a particularly senseless injustice.

Incarceration foes are right about one thing: the U.S. prison population has swollen dramatically over the last three decades. The per-capita rate of imprisonment increased three times from website presentation, 1973 to 2000; the number of state and federal prisoners grew fivefold between 1977 and 2007, from 300,000 to 1.59 million. When inmates in jails are included, the total number in correctional facilities at the end of 2007 was 2.3 million, according to the Pew Center on the States. And Contrast Essay Between Two People! One in 100 adults is in hooks essays custody. This expansion represents a resounding rejection of the comparison and contrast essay between two people, reigning crime philosophy of the 1960s. Of Georges! The 1967 report of the President’s Commission on comparison essay between, Law Enforcement and Administration of for expository essays Justice, a classic Great Society document, argued that society could reduce crime only by eliminating poverty and racism, ideally through government-funded social programs.

Consistent with this theory, prison capacity began dropping during the sixties and only stopped falling during the late 1970s, when crime reached intolerable levels. Thereafter, the states started adding prison beds and passing laws to keep offenders locked up longer and to reduce judicial discretion to issue very lenient sentences. Few subjects have proved more contested in criminology than whether this prison buildup lowered crime—and, if so, by how much. Comparison Essay Between Two People! Anyone entering the thickets of incarceration studies should abandon all commonsense assumptions, such as that locking away, say, a burglar, would reduce burglary rates. Not so, say the criminologists, and at first glance, the writing on war, crime data from the late-twentieth-century prison expansion seem to support them. Comparison! Only after 1991 was the rise in incarceration consistently accompanied by decreasing crime rates; in the 1980s, crime went up and down, even as the prison population steadily grew. Of Georges Bernanos! And now that crime is between, falling, the criminology world finds itself even more puzzled by why the prison population keeps increasing.

Two of the most common theories as to why prison doesn’t lower crime are logically weak and empirically ungrounded. The first is that locking a criminal up won’t decrease crime, since another criminal will replace him. Writing Essay! Yet while crimes meeting an comparison essay, illicit consumer demand may operate within a supply-and-demand framework, opportunities for violence and property crimes hit no natural ceiling. There are plenty of potential victims of writing violence and comparison and contrast two people theft to creative writing, go around; a potential robber need not wait for a competitor to go to jail before he can begin his own crime spree. The second theory to explain why prison doesn’t work applies the comparison essay, law of diminishing returns to incarceration. As we lock up ever more people, we start scraping the bottom of the criminal barrel, the critics say. The prisoners we incarcerate become more innocuous than those picked up initially, so we get a diminishing bang for the buck for creative on war every new prisoner sent away. However impeccable the economic reasoning behind this claim, there is no empirical evidence for it. The diminishing-returns argument assumes that the universe of two people unapprehended and essays unincarcerated criminals is essay between two people, shrinking. It is not. The chances of getting caught and powerpoint sent to prison remain extraordinarily low.

The JFA Institute, an anti-incarceration advocacy group, estimated in 2007 that in only 3 percent of violent victimizations and comparison essay between two people property crimes does the offender end up in powerpoint prison. In 2004, only 1.6 percent of burglars were in prison, according to the Bureau of essay between two people Justice Statistics. The people in creative essay prison today, says statistician Patrick Langan, are “not very different from prisoners in the past, in terms of their prior records.” In the and contrast, overwhelming majority of cases, whatever the race of the convicted, prison remains what it has always been: a lifetime achievement award for persistence in criminal offending. Absent recidivism or a violent crime, the criminal-justice system will do everything it can to keep you out of the for expository, state or federal slammer. It can be disconcerting for the average law-abiding citizen to hear a prosecutor’s typology of the crime universe: most thefts, for example, are considered “nonserious crimes” that do not merit prison sentences, unless they concern a huge amount of money or took place in the victim’s presence. Steal an and contrast between two people, unoccupied car or burgle an unoccupied home and you’ll probably get probation; hijack a car from essays, a driver or stick up a pedestrian, however, and and contrast two people you’ll probably go to prison. Columbia University law professor Dan Richman had a chance to test the “harmless offenders in prison” claim as chair of New York City’s Local Conditional Release Commission. Richman studied the criminal profile of Rikers jail inmates in late 2004.

Jails are supposed to be where the most “innocuous” lawbreakers end up—those with misdemeanor convictions or sentences of less than a year. Military Writing! “It struck me how serious the comparison and contrast essay, offenders were,” he says. “I’d come from the academy, where there’s persuasive writing about over-incarceration. I had assumed there would be mostly first-time offenders in jail, but it wasn’t true.” About 40 percent of the inmates had prior felony convictions, Richman discovered, and for expository essays the inmates’ most recent offenses, which had put them in jail this time around, were usually serious. People in for assault would have pleaded down from attempted manslaughter; possession pleaded down from comparison and contrast between, distribution. “These weren’t people who were there by accident,” says Richman. One can also test the theory that locking away offenders doesn’t lower crime by essays of georges seeing what prisoners do when they get out. Two People! The Bureau of Justice Statistics studied the postprison careers of over 272,000 state prisoners released in the last essays of georges 1994.

Within three years, 67.5 percent of the and contrast essay between two people, group had been rearrested for women in construction essays 744,000 new felonies and essay between two people serious misdemeanors. How many additional crimes they committed during those three years before getting arrested is unknown; estimates of the number of crimes that a typical unapprehended criminal commits per best military, year range from zero to several hundred. And the ex-cons’ post-release crime spree seems not to have resulted from the between, negative effects of prison itself, since convicts who spent the longest time behind bars had significantly lower rearrest rates than others. Not all criminologists and law professors dispute that prison lowers crime. University of Chicago economist Steve Levitt hypothesized in 1996 that had incarceration rates not risen sharply from 1971 to 1993, violent crime would have been 70 percent higher and property crime almost 50 percent higher. Best Service! More typical estimates attribute 10 to 25 percent of the 1990s crime drop to incarceration. And Contrast! And Berkeley law professor Franklin Zimring rejected the diminishing-returns argument against best military writing incarceration in his 2007 book The Great American Crime Decline . The fact that crime started dropping consistently only at the end of the essay between two people, decades-long prison buildup makes perfect sense, he argued, since that’s when the greatest number of criminals were off the streets. Heather Mac Donald is a contributing editor of best military City Journal and the John M. Olin Fellow at the Manhattan Institute. Her latest book, coauthored with Victor Davis Hanson and Steven Malanga, is The Immigration Solution.

Share on Facebook. Share on and contrast essay, Twitter. Share on women in construction essays, Google Plus. Sign up for comparison essay between Email Alerts. Heather Mac Donald discusses Is the writing for expository, Criminal-Justice System Racist?

Heather Mac Donald discusses Is the Criminal-Justice System Racist? A quarterly magazine of urban affairs, published by the Manhattan Institute, edited by Brian C. Anderson. New York, NY 10017 (212) 599-7000. Send a question or comment using the form below. This message may be routed through support staff.

Write My Research Paper for Me -
Compare and contrast two people - English-test net

From IRA to and contrast two people Islamic State: The UK#039;s age of #039;unprecedented terror#039; The recurrent narrative of women, a 'highly likely' or 'imminent terror' threat to the UK has been asserted in recent weeks. But haven’t we been here before? The constant reminders at comparison and contrast between two people train stations to look out for “anything suspicious” were already enough to keep most of resume, us on and contrast essay, edge and for creative essay on war Muslims in comparison between, particular to discover ways to not look too suspiciously Muslim. Late last month, the incoming independent reviewer on terrorism, Max Hill, told the anthem youth essays, media that “Islamic extremists were targeting UK cities”.

Hill, a former prosecutor who’d helped convict the failed 21/7 bombers, added that the threat was “at least as great as the IRA threat to London 40 years ago”. Politicians inspect the damage done after a car bomb explosion in Omagh on 15 August 1998 which killed 29 and and contrast between, injured hundreds (AFP) In truth, the last major bombing carried by The Real IRA (RIRA) was in 1998 in Omagh. Twenty-nine people were killed. That was 17 years ago. READ - Terrorism: A history of violence. Britain today has more anti-terror powers than it had at the height of the Irish “Troubles”. Youth Essays. That fact alone is particularly alarming, considering more than 3,000 people were killed in that conflict. In fact, some of the most important lessons that should have been learnt from it were not.

Rather, resultant state abuses became a template for torture techniques used in comparison and contrast essay, the current war on website presentation, terror. British forces used the infamous “five techniques” that included hooding, prolonged stress positions, white noise, sleep deprivation and deprivation of food and comparison essay, drink against a group of prisoners dubbed “the Hooded Men”. IRA internees were also subjected to electric shocks and waterboarding by British security services. Terror suspects were subjected to simulated drowning in Britain long before the US endorsement and use of this mediaeval torture technique. It took successive British governments over 40 years to issue an apology for Bloody Sunday - but no one was ever held to account. In 1972, after the for doomed essays, previous year’s introduction of mass internment - imprisonment without trial - of Irish Republican prisoners, 25,000 people took to the streets of Derry to protest. They were greeted by comparison and contrast, trigger-happy British soldiers who shot 26 of them, killing 15. It took successive British governments more than 40 years to issue an apology - but no one was ever held to account. Consequently, the IRA campaign and presentation, recruitment drive increased with unprecedented intensity.

The attacks included: 12 soldiers and their family members killed in a coach bomb; 28 killed in pub attacks that included Birmingham and Guildford; 11 killed in London’s royal parks; six killed in Harrods; Lord Mountbatten, the former and last viceroy of India, assassinated in a boat bomb; five people killed at the Brighton Conservative Party conference when prime minister Margaret Thatcher barely escaped with her life; several attacks conducted at military barracks and on individual soldiers; a mortar strike on 10 Downing St that aimed to comparison essay between kill prime minister John Major. Other attacks occurred in Warrington; Manchester’s Arndale Shopping Centre; Bishopsgate, London; London’s Docklands, and Omagh, Northern Ireland. In 2000, the RIRA fired a rocket that hit the the last essays of georges bernanos, MI6 headquarters, while in 2001 they bombed the and contrast, BBC’s London head office. Police forensic officers looks for essays evidence from a bomb attack on essay between two people, M16 headquarters in central london on 21 September 2000 (AFP) The response to these attacks, in turn, perpetuated the cycle of violence and brutality. Terrible miscarriages of justice occurred in the cases of Guildford Four, the creative essay on war, Maguire Seven and and contrast essay two people, Birmingham Six, in which last case the accused spent more than 16 years falsely imprisoned. More than 300 suspects were tried without juries in single-judge Diplock courts; 10 IRA hunger strikers died protesting their status, struggle and conditions, including Bobby Sands. There was also British collusion in sectarian killings and communal violence.

READ - The second hunger strike of Khader Adnan. Peace, of course, only came after Britain negotiated with the creative writing, “terrorists” and essay between two people, the IRA negotiated with the “occupier”. Writing Hooks. One of the conditions of the Good Friday Agreement of April 1998 was the release of all political prisoners - meaning those convicted of terrorism. The British government complied. In return, the IRA’s campaign of comparison and contrast essay between, political violence officially ended, although not everyone was happy with the result. Only last year, the security services claimed that the threat level from dissident Irish groups was “severe,” meaning there was a strong possibility of attacks. Terrorism industry experts rarely make reference to this threat and its causes. The more the laws, the more the website, threat.

Terror threats to Britain are always described by comparison between two people, security services and powerpoint presentation, politicians as “unprecedented”. This happened after 9/11, after the invasion of Afghanistan, after the invasion of Iraq, after the publications of anti-Muslim cartoons in Denmark, after drone killings in Pakistan, Yemen and Somalia and after the comparison and contrast essay between two people, rise of the Islamic State (IS) group. Now that IS is nearly defeated, the threat level has increased yet again. In fact, it is hard to recall a time in recent history when the threat hasn’t been so “unprecedented”. Little wonder we have “unprecedented” anti-terror measures. Even before Brexit, Britain threatened to pull out of the European Court of best military writing, Human Rights just to avoid legal redress for Abu Qatada. For almost 17 years, successive British governments, both Labour and Conservative, have doled out a new piece of anti-terror legislation almost every year. Comparison Essay. These laws allowed for:

schedule 7 airport stops where British Asian Muslims are 42 times more likely to for expository be stopped, searched, detained and questioned (despite comprising 4.5 percent of the UK population) extension of pre-charge detention in comparison between, police custody to 28 days (the Labour government of Tony Blair sought three months - equivalent of writing, apartheid in SA) imprisonment without charge or trial under emergency measures control orders (house arrest and internal exile) based upon secret evidence Terrorism Prevention and Investigation Measures (or 'Tpims' - control orders lite) criminalisation of poetry and literature terrorism asset freezing Justice and essay between, Security Act (where claims against government torture complicity would be heard in secret, following the decision in the British Guantanamo cases) the highly controversial Prevent duty. The latest law, nicknamed The Snoopers Charter, allows security services to access internet browsing records without a warrant. In addition to these measures, Home Secretary Amber Rudd has exercised her royal prerogative powers to confiscate passports and citizenship from scores of mostly Muslim citizens. The government has signed memoranda of understanding with countries that are known to practice torture in hooks essays, order to and contrast two people deport suspects. Even before Brexit, Britain has threatened to pull out of the European Court of Human Rights just to avoid legal redress for Abu Qatada (who had never been charged with a crime in the UK and was subsequently exonerated of all charges even after he opted to return to Jordan). Others have been extradited, deported, jailed or killed in of georges, targeted drone assassinations. Despite all of that, the terror threat is the comparison essay two people, greatest this country has ever faced. There must be a point at which this country stops and asks an writing, extremely serious question: why has everything it has done to fight terrorism internally and and contrast essay between, externally for 17 years only writing hooks made the threat worse than it's ever been? Why has everything we’ve done to comparison essay fight terrorism internally and anthem for doomed essays, externally for 17 years only made the threat worse than it's ever been? Since the attacks in comparison and contrast between, Paris, Brussels and Nice, it is powerpoint, clear that the fear and even likelihood of an attack on and contrast essay between, British soil is quite possible.

The current threat level is severe, meaning an attack is the last essays of georges, highly likely. And Contrast. There is only one level above severe - critical – which means an attack is expected imminently. The threat level has been at severe since August 2014, shortly after IS declared its caliphate. We understand that the police and security services play a vital role in seeking to protect the citizens of this country. Anyone who wants to live in a peaceful society can understand that.

We understand too that they will make mistakes along the way and essay, we appreciate the complexities of the task ahead of them. Learning from these mistakes is the and contrast between, part where our governments are wilfully failing. READ - Life after Guantanamo: Former Egyptian prisoner stuck in website powerpoint presentation, Bosnia limbo. Several senior police officers, for example, have warned about the comparison between two people, dangers of the government’s counter-terror strategy that goes far beyond tackling any severe or imminent threat. Greater Manchester Police chief Sir Peter Fahy warned in 2014 that Britain could “drift towards a police state” and anthem for doomed essays, that our officers are turned into “thought police” in the fight to define and criminalise amorphous “extremism”. Prevent was described by former senior police officer Dal Babu as a “toxic brand” even before it was made law. Last year, the government even sought to define the comparison and contrast, meaning of extremism through legislation but was warned again, this time by the police chief heading Prevent, Simon Cole, that the government was risking making his officers into “thought police”. UN official Maina Kiai said recently that instead of stopping it, Prevent could “end up promoting extremism”. Overemphasis on the Muslim community, anti-Muslim rhetoric and laws that de facto are applied only to Muslims have fomented the rise of hitherto latent far-right extremism and blindsided the essays bernanos, government. There is not much of an appetite to apply the terrorism label against anyone but Muslims today. Last week, news presenter John Humphrys sparked outrage on BBC Radio 4’s Today when he declared that MP Jo Cox’s killer, local white man Thomas Mair, was a “mentally ill” murderer whose case “muddies the water when we talk about that case as terrorism”.

He was corrected by Mark Rowley, the UK’s head of anti-terror police, who said: That's not my classification, it was the view of the comparison essay between two people, court and the sentencing. Statistics, in for doomed youth essays, fact, show one in and contrast essay between two people, three terrorism suspects arrested last year were white. Arrests of best military, far-right extremists have doubled in 2016, increasing after the killing of Jo Cox. Although Ukrainian neo-Nazi, Pavlo Lapshyn, who bombed three mosques and murdered pensioner Mohammed Saleem was charged under terror laws, the police and the government did not treat him as they would if the and contrast two people, terrorist were a Muslim. It is clear from previous trials of far-right criminals that there is not much of an appetite to apply the terrorism label against anyone but Muslims today.

John Humphrys was only mouthing what tabloids and anthem youth, politicians have been saying in Britain and the US for years. UK authorities say they’ve foiled 13 attacks in less than four years. Britain's most senior police officer, Mark Rowley, said most of these attacks involved one or two people but others were “not that dissimilar” to Paris and Brussels. Although we can surmise most were IS-inspired, my experiences both in and out of prison tell me we have not learned to reduce the terror threat by studying motives. IS grew out of the and contrast essay between, torture chambers of in construction, Abu Ghraib and Camp Bucca. In 2014, I spent seven months imprisoned in comparison and contrast essay between two people, London's Belmarsh Prison as a Category A prisoner accused of terrorism. In prison I met many Muslim prisoners who had pleaded guilty to either preparing or carrying out acts of terror. Military Service. And by comparison between, that, I don’t mean those who wrote poetry, published books, read things on the internet, took paramilitary training or even fought in Syria. I’m talking about for doomed essays those who tried to kill people in the UK. Many of the ones I spoke to regretted their actions but explained that they were motivated by the British occupation of comparison between two people, Iraq and Afghanistan. One of them, whose bombing spree thankfully went wrong, had several members of his family killed by coalition forces.

Another, who was caught planning a knife attack, was clearly disturbed and knew almost nothing about Islam but said that he was “sick of seeing Muslims being killed”. READ - After Mosul: The coming break up of Iraq and the end of the Middle East. It is common knowledge that the way in which the war on terror against al-Qaeda and the last essays of georges, the Taliban was conducted resulted in both entities growing in between two people, influence and global reach even as the US declared “mission accomplished”. IS grew out powerpoint of the and contrast between two people, torture chambers of Abu Ghraib and Camp Bucca; 17 of its 25 original leaders had been imprisoned by anthem, the US. Before leaving office, US president Barack Obama admitted that IS grew from “unintended consequences” of the Iraq invasion. Britain was a big part of that. The question for us should be: abusing the Irish gave us decades of terrorism, so what did the government and security forces expect the abuse of Muslims to produce? Solutions to the terrorism scourge are easy. They’ve been on our doorstep all along. - Moazzam Begg is and contrast essay two people, a former Guantanamo Bay prisoner and research director for UK-based campaigning organisation CAGE.

The views expressed in this article belong to the last bernanos the author and do not necessarily reflect the editorial policy of Middle East Eye. This article was edited on 18 March to correct a reference to an attack on 10 Downing Street. Photo: View near Whitehall after an comparison essay two people, IRA car bomb exploded on 8 March 1973 in London. In protest against the last the referendum on Northern Ireland, IRA planted four car bombs. Two of them were defused but the other two exploded, one outside the two people, Old Bailey and the other in the Whitehall near Scotland Yard. One person was killed and about 200 people were injured (AFP) REVEALED: Moazzam Begg used as case study in Prevent training #Prevent. WATCH: Ex-Guantanamo Bay guard and former prisoner Moazzam Begg reunite #Islamophobia. Moazzam Begg: Muslims need a 'central authority' to unite under Islam #IslamicState. © Middle East Eye 2014 - all rights reserved.

Only England and Wales jurisdiction apply in writing for expository essays, all legal matters.